Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Aviation Organizations

When I am a commercial airline pilot it will be important for me to be involved in certain aviation organizations in order to stay up to date on current news, stay involved in the aviation community, and take advantage of some of the many benefits that will be offered to me through these organizations. Aside from whatever pilots' union I will be a member of, two organizations that will benefit me greatly as a professional pilot are Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) and Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA).
I am already an AOPA member, which gives me access to many benefits from my Flight Training magazine subscription (which I can change to AOPA Pilot when I'm further along in my career) to advocacy and government lobbying for pilots' rights. AOPA's website states their mission which mentions the support of activities that ensure the long-term health of General Aviation. 
Simply put, AOPA is here to protect general aviation and the rights of all pilots. ALPA, on the other hand, focuses on commercial aviation pilots and safety. Their mission statement mentions representing the collective interests of all pilots in commercial aviation. ALPA has some really great benefits such as their own member insurance which can cover you financially if you lose your medical. ALPA even has an exclusive disaster relief fund for pilots and their families who have been the victims of widespread catastrophic events. I plan on joining ALPA when I"m further along in my career even if only just to take advantage of the insurance they offer. 

2 comments:

  1. As I am on the management side of aviation, I don't believe it would be as beneficial for me to join ALPA, but do agree it is a great professional organization for airline pilots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both AOPA and ALPA serve a valuable function in representing the best interests of pilots and the aviation industry. ALPA and AOPA would benefit from any membership possible to help them continue to be strong organizations.

    ReplyDelete